Nowadays, the rich and long lashes you’re seeing on all women are not a real one. The trend of using eyelash extensions has gained a lot of popularity in the beauty industry, because eyelash extensions are a great way to make your eyes pop.
Well, you don’t have to worry about taking off your extensions at the end of the day, there are many eyelash extensions that you can put daily that don’t cause or damage your natural lashes.
High-quality eyelash extensions are a bit of an investment, but they are worth it. After applying a pair of lash extensions, you may wonder, can you put mascara on eyelash extensions?
The short answer is YES, you can wear mascara with eyelash extensions. If you’re experiencing the lashes have gaps or are too fine, mascara is the easy solution to make your lashes look thicker and fuller. Also, you should only put mascara on classic eyelash extensions and not on volume lashes.
Read the article till the end to know everything about can you put mascara on eyelash extensions, what types of mascara you can wear on lash extensions and how to apply mascara on eyelash extensions.
Can You Put Mascara on Eyelash Extensions?
Remember, mascara can’t be applied on all types of eyelash extensions, but it is best to go with classic lashes extensions, the same thing doesn’t apply on the volume or hybrid eyelash extensions.
The classic lash extensions consist of one extension to one natural lash, while volume lashes are multiple extensions to one natural lash. There are two reasons why you should avoid mascara with hybrid or volume lashes.
- Add extra weight: Remember, extra mascara on volume lash = add extra weight. When you apply mascara on a volume fan, it can add extra weight to your new lashes and lead them to weigh down and fall out prematurely.
- Closing the Fan: Volume eyelash extensions give you more volume and length to your lashes, but if you apply mascara on a volume fan, the fan will close and lashes will max together in mascara.
Why Wear Mascara with Lash Extensions?
Mascara is popular and over 106 million women use this tool in the U.S today. According to National Geographic mascara was used for ophthalmological health and history also says that mascara was used since 4,000 B.C (in ancient Egypt).
For many women, eyelash extensions are a game-changer, but to keep them looking gorgeous, you need to take special care and maintain them properly.
Here are some temporary benefits of mascara on eyelash extensions:
- Mascara will darken your lashes and impact to the lower lashes, and make your both upper and lower lashes look balanced.
- Your eyelash extensions appear thicker, and have a bright look.
- If you use a colored mascara, it can change the color of your lash extensions.
- Mascara can increase the length of your fake lashes.
- As your eyelash extensions are sparse and reach the end of their life, one or two coats of mascara can help your lash extensions to lose a bit longer.
What Type of Mascara You Can Use on Lash Extensions?
There are many best mascaras designed for eyelash extensions and oil-free mascara was created specifically for use on lash extensions and its safe mascara for all false lashes.
While most mascaras are made up with oils, additives, and artificial wax, and water-based made with a pH level that’s natural. That’s the reason they are safe for sensitive skin around the eyes. They dry quickly and can be removed with warm water.
So, look for mascara that are water-based, because that are designed for use on eyelash extensions. Gently apply mascara to your lash extensions and use soft brushes to put on the mascara.
What Type of Mascara to Avoid on Lash Extensions?
Remember, not all mascaras are good for eyelash extensions, whether you are made from synthetic or natural fibers. So, here are some mascaras that you need to avoid on lash extensions.
Tube mascara doesn’t mean that mascara comes in a “tube”, this type of mascara that coats lashes by forming tubes around each individual lash.
This mascara is easy to remove from natural lashes, but on eyelash extensions it will stick to them like cement and make it difficult to remove. Using this kind of mascara ends-up damaging your expensive eyelash extensions.
Waterproof mascara can be difficult to remove when you apply on lash extensions and this is the worst thing for your lash extensions. Waterproof mascara designed to stay on your natural lashes.
This type of mascara often makes your lashes brittle and dries them out too. If you’re looking for mascara for daily-wear, then a waterproof version is definitely not the right one.
Waterproof mascara is very difficult to remove, there are very few ways to remove it without rubbing, pulling or snagging. This is also one reason for your lash extensions to fall out early.
Mascara with Oils
Mascara with oils can damage the eyelash glue and break the bond between eyelash extensions and natural lashes. You should avoid mascara with oils, such ingredients like castor oil, turpentine oil, linseed oil, beeswax, carnauba wax, sesame oil and more.
This type of mascara is also difficult to remove and this mascara comes loaded with dry fibers such as nylon, rayon or silk to make your lashes appear thicker and denser, which will never be ideal for lash extensions.
The fiber mascara is very hard to remove, that’s the reason it is not recommended for eyelash extensions.
How to Apply Mascara to Lash Extensions?
Applying mascara on natural lashes and on eyelash extensions works differently. So, you need to be extra careful, because eyelash extensions are bonded to natural lashes and a single wrong move can damage them or cause them to fall out earlier than usual.
So here is how to apply mascara to lash extensions:
- First you need to wash, dry and comb your lashes.
- Then, gently apply a coat of mascara on your natural lashes and lash extensions.
- Start applying from the middle and go towards the tips.
- Remember not to apply mascara to the roots.
- Avoid adding more than a coat or two of mascara.
What to Remember When using Mascara on Lash Extensions?
If your eyelash extensions are not thick or heavy, then applying mascara will enhance your look. But if you’re not careful about picking the right product and applying it correctly, then it may damage your lash extensions.
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind when you wear mascara on eyelash extensions.
- Application: When you’re putting mascara on eyelashes, it’s important not to follow the same tips or ways as you do on natural lashes. The best way, you can start applying mascara to the middle of the eyelash and moving forward to tips.
- Removal: You need to take extreme care when you’re removing mascara that is applied on lash extensions to avoid them from falling out. First, you need to keep off the makeup removal oil, and clean the mascara gently without rubbing or pulling.
- Sleeping Etiquette: Never wear mascara when you’re on bed, because letting mascara stay overnight can cause eye pain, bacterial infections and corneal erosions.
QNA’s on Mascara on Lash Extensions
Can you wear mascara on bottom lashes?
Applying mascara on your bottom lashes with eyelash extensions is not a good idea. However, make sure to use water-based mascara that will help you to wash off easily. Most women typically only applied on the top lashes, so there is less concern on applying mascara on bottom lashes.
Should an older woman wear mascara on bottom lashes?
The short answer is NO, don’t wear mascara on your lower lashes. Applying mascara on your lower lashes can make your eyes look droopy and draw attention to dark circles.
What happens if you put mascara on eyelash extensions?
Waterproof mascara or any type of oil based mascara will dissolve the bonding ingredient, which can reduce the life of your eyelash extensions. Also, the brush may pull on your lashes, which could cause them or to be damaged or removed.
Can you put Mascara on the top of lash extensions?
Yes, you can put mascara on the top of lash extensions, as long as you have Classic eyelash extensions. The Classic lash extensions offer a thickness boost for those who currently have decent natural lashes.
Applying mascara can lengthen or give extra volume to your lash extensions. Make sure to apply mascara on classic lashes and not volume lashes. Wearing mascara on volume lashes will add more weight and close your volume fans.
Applying water-based mascara is a great way to take your eyelashes to the next level. But the most important thing is to avoid mascara that comes with oils and artificial waxes. Never use waterproof, fiber and tube mascara because they can damage your extensions quickly.
Hopefully, you like this information, if you have any questions and suggestions about this article put them in the comment box below.